- There are over 200 species in the squirrel family, including the red or gray squirrel, chipmunks and groundhogs. The red or gray squirrel is the one most often reported as a pest in our area.
- Squirrel species can be found on every continent except Australia and Antarctica.
- If you see a squirrel flipping its tail, more than likely it is trying to communicate with others of its own kind.
- Squirrels can cause damage to homes by chewing through electrical wires. Plus, they can electrocute themselves as well as cause a fire hazard in a home.
- If there is no entry point into an attic, the squirrel will make one by gnawing on the fascia boards of your house!
- Red or gray Squirrels are found in throughout metro New Orleans and across Louisiana.
- Squirrels are most active in morning and evening during daylight hours, so if you hear scurrying in your attic during these times, it’s likely squirrels.
- On August 25, 2016, thousands of New Orleans homeowners lost power ... because of a squirrel.
Though cute to watch, squirrels can be anything BUT cute if they get into your attic, where they can bear young, chew wires or even die! Let’s take a look at some facts about squirrels: