Most pets come in contact with fleas and ticks from other animals and from being outside. Some can experience serious allergic reactions to flea bites.
Whether in your own particular lawn or hiking in the woods, you and your pets are at risk for ticks and fleas. Ticks can transmit illnesses such as Lyme disease, and mosquitoes, of course, are notorious for spreading serious illnesses like malaria.
Here are some useful tips to keep you and your pets safe from fleas and ticks this mid year:
- Check pets often by rubbing your hands through their fur to check for fleas and ticks.
- Watch pets for excessive scratching and licking.
- Keep grass mowed low, including the grass around wall lines, sheds, trees, bushes, swing sets and other hard to cut areas.
- Don’t walk dogs in tall grass, where insects and ticks regularly hide.
- As often as possible wash pet bedding, collars and toys.
- Vacuum rugs, floors and furniture regularly.