- Cover your chimney with wire mesh or chimney cap; this will keep the most tenacious squirrels out!
- Cover and seal all vents.
- Make frequent inspections of the outside of your home for chewed areas that could allow squirrel entry.
- Patch all holes; even a small hole will encourage a squirrel to chew it into a larger entry point.
- It’s possible to use live traps and relocate captured squirrels. Peanuts, crackers, bread pieces or apple slices are effective baits. Just place the bait far enough into the trap that the animal has room to go all the way in and trip the trap door.
- Another option is to use commercial spray repellents (like Repels-All). These chemicals can be applied to your attic to deter squirrels. Repellents can be made from predator urine like the fox and can be purchased at hardware stores.
- Don’t fall for ultrasonic devices that are supposed to keep squirrels out. They don’t work!
- What works? Call DA Exterminating 800-650-PEST if you suspect a squirrel problem!
As with most pest problems, prevention is the key to being squirrel-free! Here are some things you can do to prevent squirrel problems in your home: