1) Dried berries, seeds and other natural materials are especially attractive to mice, so a good strategy is to seal them in plastic containers if you must save these from year to year. The best idea, however, is to discard natural decorations after using each year. That includes real gingerbread houses and candy canes!
2) Cardboard can be a favorite nesting material for rodents, so store ALL Christmas decorations in plastic tubs. Don't store artificial Christmas trees in cardboard either! Instead, use plastic sealable bags!
3) Examine all decorations for any that are broken or that you won't use next year and discard them.
4) Wash linens and other fabrics and store in sealed plastic bags to prevent moisture.
5) Before loading containers into a garage, basement, attic or other storage area, examine it and clean thoroughly to remove any debris that may be harborage areas for mice.
6) Store holiday candles separately. The scent from a candle can attract unwanted guests. Placing the candles in an area that is not exposed to extreme heat (e.g. attics or sheds) will resolve this problem. Wrap candles in plastic to prevent them from melting together or transferring color in warm conditions.
If you follow these tips to properly pack and store your decorations, not only will you be more organized for Christmas 2017, but you will reduce the possibility of pests trying to share next year's holiday with you! To get more information on pest control services in New Orleans contact the experts at DA Exterminating today by calling 800-650-PEST. Wishing you and your family a pest-free New Year!